In 1923, new high schools were built and opened in both towns: Old Decatur was Riverside, housing grades 6 through 11, with 183 students. In Albany, a high school was built behind the old Gordon school and the old school became Gordon-Bibb Elementary. The schools remained separated until 1933, at which time Riverside became Decatur High and Albany became the Junior High School.
In 1927, the teams of Riverside High School and those of Central were combined for the first time after the two towns were consolidated into the city of Decatur.
After the 1927 season, Aubrey Fuller was hired as an assistant coach under the two coaches at Riverside: T.L. Kerby and T.R. Taylor. He would remain as an assistant coach at Decatur High School until he resigned after the 1958 football season. The seniors of the 1959 graduating class paid a special tribute to Coach Aubrey Fuller for his 29 years as coach and chief scout for the football team. During this period he worked with hundreds of Decatur boys, one (Don Whitmire) of whom became an All-American. He coached many more that became college standouts.
Decatur played Hanceville High School in the years of 1929 (Hanceville 7-Decatur 7) and 1930 (Hanceville 33-Decatur 6). The Hanceville coach was a man named H.L. “Shorty” Ogle. In 1930, on October 23, the new stadium, Benson Field, was dedicated. It had a seating capacity of 800.
Decatur continued to play outstanding football under the coaching of R.D. Taylor and Aubrey Fuller. The 1932 football team, which was Coach Taylor’s last year, won 10 and lost 0. One of the captains was Lamar Moye who was inducted into the Morgan County Sports Hall of Fame in 1994. The other captain was Charlie Smith, the brother of Clyde Smith. On November 24, 1932, Decatur played Hartselle before a sellout crowd of over 1500 fans.
Coach Ogle came to Decatur in 1933; Coach Fuller remained as his assistant. The 1933 team was one of Coach’s greatest. They were undefeated and allowed only seven points the entire season. The squad consisted of many stars: Bobby Banks (Halfback), All Valley and All-State; Harry Lauber (Tackle), All Valley and All State; John Gingrich (Guard), All Valley; and Clifton Kimbrell (Halfback), All Valley.
The next 15 years, Decatur played football on Benson Field which had a roof added after the 1930 season. Wind destroyed the roof in 1939 and it was never replaced. During those years Decatur’s ordinary athletes were molded into extraordinary teams. The team moved to Ogle Stadium for the 1948 season and the winning traditions continued.